Sep 25, 2009

Ken Leung Interview by Grain Edit

Ken Leung, an UK-based Malaysia-born designer, who spent much of his life in Australia, was an art director with Monocle before he went freelance. He is the latest featured designer by Grain Edit. He was asked to shed a little light on the direction he chose for Monocle's layout grid:

Monocle’s design philosophy is an unquestionable nod to Swiss graphic design. The Brockmann-style grids provide a strong foundation to begin building and designing a page in the most legible and concise way possible. Using such a strict grid also enforces restraint, which, in my opinion is where the most interesting design comes from.

He, also, touched on the illustrators – some of my favorites such as Adrian Johnson, Takashi Kuwahara and Lab Partners – that he choose to worked on Monocle:

I choose illustrators that display a sense of craftmanship and detail in their work. They should have confident styles that aren’t based on trends or an over-reliance of technology. A sense of wit never goes astray either.

I am extremely proud when my fellow Asians do good in the international creative circle . Psychologically, it sort of just gives me hope for the future. So, I will be highlighting much about them in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment